Tuesday, June 9, 2009

How to become a car bomber

Never knew where the expletive-like expression Nuts came from. I sort of thought it had to do with getting kicked in them. Now I'm thinking it has to do with removing the air intake/exhaust manifold from a 1985 VW Cabriolet. There are something like 10 bolts to be removed. Some require crescent wrenches, others allen. With generous help we removed 8 or 9. Obviously these 8 or 9 are completely unnecessary because the thing is held very securely by the other one or two. The problem is you have to find these rusted suckers entirely by feel. They are on the back of the engine and cannot be seen from top or underneath.

After working on that for a while, I started sawing the exhaust pipe in two. Got bored with the slow progress (think I need a better saw or a power tool). So I started on the gas tank.

I had already siphoned as much fuel as I could out of the tank. But I'm guessing there's still some gas and fumes in the tank and fuel lines. As I'm working on the tank, I've got 2 halogen lights whose heat output is exceeded only by the sun. I get so hot that my goggles keep fogging. In addition I've got a more portable incandescent light using an extension cord next to me. The first think I try is to remove the fuel line from it's lowest point. The idea is to let any remaining fuel drop into a bucket. But the chances that I will accomplish this neatly are slim. So I consider what will happen if the gas (or fumes) get near the light. That's when I see myself as an unintentional car bomber. I go to move the fire extinguisher closer to me and someone's moved it (not good). By this time I decide it's time to tackle this on another day when my resevoir of patience has been replenished.

Noah did lend a hand. I had him try to remove a couple of things but they are rusty and it's going to take more strength. I'm even having a difficult time.

I keep reminding myself that all of this was to be expected and this is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment