Friday, May 29, 2009

The hill is getting steeper

There's a respectable empty area under the hood, but the going is getting tougher. I'm also getting a bit obsessive about this project. I don't want this car occupying my garage forever. If I make some progress every day I will eventually succeed so I'm inching along.

I've been spending some time removing bits and pieces. I've also improved the work area with better lighting. Got the rest of the air filter housing removed. Took out the radiator. Learned about the cat litter stuff for sucking up moisture.

I was starting to remove the alternator last night when I got stuck. Did I mention I'm not good at this? I disconnected the electrical and the big bolt that appears to let you adjust the tension of the belt. The belt doesn't move. Not sure what to do next. I also started to remove the AC coil but can't figure out how to remove some of the tubes connected to it. My approach is to start with soft force and then increase it as I get frustrated.

The Haynes manual is pretty helpful, but still assumes more knowledge that I have. For example it might say remove all of the vacuum hoses. How do I tell a vacuum hose? The internet is a big help. Naturally I didn't know what the alternator looked like so I used google images.

No comments:

Post a Comment